Wednesday, May 28, 2008

JJNN 7 May 28th, 2008

Welcome again to JJNN for Wednesday May 28th, 2008. Today I will be talking about the time of year that I hate the most and more new cell phone technology.

The first news story is very short and it is given here. This time of year is good in Japan. Sure, in the middle of the day it is starting to get hot, but it is still cool in morning and at night (at least least here in Niigata).

The only problem with this is the fact that summer and the rainy season is coming up. There is no going around it, I hate the rainy season. I don't know if anyone who reads this blog lives in a place with a rainy season, but I got to tell you it sucks. It doesn't rain every day, but it is always so hot and humid, especially before an incoming hurricane.

Any way, to the news story. The meteorological observatory in Takamatsu reported that the rainy season is going to visit Japan a week earlier than normal and a full 16 days earlier than last year. Starting today a low pressure front goes over southern Japan and it looks like it will be cloudy and rainy for a while. This all means that the rainy season is coming early and will probably hang out for a while. Bah!

The next news story is yet another story on new cell phone technology. The original story can be found here. This is not really a news story, but more of an advertisement. But, I will grab out all the interesting tech items I can out of the ad. The cell phone itself is called SH906i and is pictured below.



Well the first thing I love about this phone is the touch panel it has. I know, I know, there are a lot of things out now days with a touch panel, but I can't get past how cool it is to control things just by touch. (well, there will never be anything as cool as pushing a big candy colored red button, but you know what I mean.) But, what is more impressive than the touch panel is the amount functions you can control with it. The list includes the phone's TV, the internet browser, full access to your files, the camera, the manga/book reader and other things.

The function that grabbed my attention more than any other one was a new way to lock the cell phone. This phone has handwriting recognition. That's right. You could write in your password and even though another person knows your password they would not be able to get into your phone. This is a cool thing, but someone with this phone can never really be lazy and tell another person to get his/her phone: "Could you get my phone?" "Yeah, but I can't unlock it to answer the phone." "Doh!"

Almost all phones in Japan use blue tooth. As a side note this means that people can use those annoying earphone/microphone things that I hate so much. I hate to see people walk around talking to no one that I can see. But I digress, there are good things that blue tooth can lead to. In the case of this phone, a blue tooth keyboard can be used to type up email on the phone. I am loving this because I write phone email on my cell phone every day and it takes so much time using the number pad on the phone. I just got a new phone last year so I guess I won't be getting this phone, but a guy can dream, right?

Any way it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is 手書き認証(てがきにんしょう). It is pronounced tegaki-ninshou and means handwriting recognition. Man I want that phone.

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment