Saturday, June 21, 2008

JJNN 29 June 21st, 2008

Welcome again to JJNN for Saturday June 21st, 2008. Today I am going to talk about some shapely melons.

What? Why are you calling me a pervert? Oh! Melons! No, no! I am going to talk about the fruit! Do any of your remember that episode of the Simpsons where the whole family goes to Japan. In that episode Homer finds a square watermelon when walking around Japan. Well, those watermelons actually exist. Just look at this video.



That, however is not that news. Those watermelons have been around for a couple of years now。Don't get that wrong idea. It's not like everyone here eats square watermelons. I have been in Japan for 6 years and I have never seen one close up. Plus, they are damn expensive. One square watermelon is about $200. Ouch

The actual news is found here. A group of high school students in Aichi prefecture had the idea of growing other square fruit, but they faced one major problem. The watermelon was already square, what else could they make square. Well, finally decided to settle with normal melons. You can see the square melons below.



Well, your probably saying to yourself that this news story hardly even qualifies as news. Well, up to this point that much is true. But, it's what Japan is trying to do with these melons that is making the news. Aichi prefecture is revving up the production on these square melons so they can export a lot of them to Hong Kong this summer. They want to do this so they will have the property rights of the square melon. They will have their square melon trademark made international with these international sales.

Maybe it's just me, but I like my melons round. Why the hell do we need cubic melons? I am sure they fit better in boxes and easier to carry, but I don't see any other advantage. Can any of your think of any other advantage?

Now, let's talk about the major disadvantage. One melon costs about $100! A bit too rich for my blood. I would got for a lot of "lesser" rounder fruit over this square melon. But, maybe that is just me.

Any way, it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is 四角い(しかくい). It is pronounced shikakui and means square. There are many things out there, that are meant to be square, but I don't think melons are one of them. Maybe, one day, they will make a melon that is shaped like a watermelon. That would probably be a big seller!

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment