Friday, July 25, 2008

JJNN Friday: Technology - 03

Welcome again to JJNN for Friday July 25th, 2008. Today we will be taking fatigue.

You know, lately I have been tired. If I am not running around for work I am running around in my personal life. Also, I spend a lot of time in the office next to the air conditioner so I think that I might be coming down with some sort of summer cold. But, enough about me. I want to talk about this.

It seems that there is a device to measure just about everything in Japan. The one in that article measures the amount of fatigue a person is currently experiencing. How do you think a device can measure fatigue? Well according to the article the device can figure out how tired you are just by listening to you talk. Cool huh?

The device was originally built for truck drivers and bus drivers. Basically the device will be used to see if a driver is actually fit to be behind the wheel. Probably a good thing to decrease the number of crashes caused by sleeping drivers.

The device seems to be simple to use. All you have to do is input information like how tired you are currently feeling, what time you went to bed last night, what time you woke up this morning, what time you started work and what time you ended work. After that you just have to talk into the microphone. The computer will than be able to tell how active your brain is by the way that you talk.

Well, what about this? You are a trucker that has been driving all day. You stop at a truck stop to fill up and some guy from your company or the government comes up to you with one of these devices. You are really tired, but you only have a little while to go and have to finish the delivery soon. What would you do? Well if you knew about the system you would try to speak in a perky voice to fool the computer, right? Well, that won't work on this device. It will see right though your act. Again, in the end that is a good thing I guess.

Any way, it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is 疲労(ひろう). It is pronounced hirou and means fatigue. If I weren't going out tonight I would get some sleep to get rid of this fatigue. Oh well, to quote an old friend of mine, "I can sleep when I am dead."

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN

No comments:

Post a Comment