Tuesday, October 14, 2008

JJNN Tuesday: Entertainment - 11

Welcome again to JJNN for Tuesday October 14th, 2008. Today we will be talking about a traditional Japanese instrument.

As I have said on many occasions I play a traditional Japanese instrument called the shamisen. I have already talked about that a lot so today I want to talk about a different type of instrument.

This time I want to talk about daiko. Daiko are Japanese drums. They are usually huge, but they have small versions of them as well. You can see a picture of one of the huge daiko below.



There are many groups all over Japan that play the daiko. Most of the groups play daiko for festivals or other such events. There are also groups that are very famous because they play daiko. The one that is closest to my prefecture is called Kodo. They always play on Sado during the earth festival in the summer. You can see a Kodo video below.



Any way, it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is 太鼓(だいこ). It is pronounced daiko and means daiko. I always wanted to learn how to play the taiko, but it is not really something I can practice in my apartment.

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment