Wednesday, October 15, 2008

JJNN Wednesday: Games - 10

Welcome again to JJNN for Wednesday October 15th, 2008. Today we will be talking about a new Japanese game that I have my doubts about.

As I said on Tuesday I saw a whole lot of games when I went to The Tokyo Game Show. There were a lot of good games. There were a lot of games that I want to buy when they come out. On the other hand, there were some games that I really had my doubts about.

The game that I have the most doubts about is an online game called Meet Me. You can see this game at www.meet-me.jp. For one thing I have had my fill of online games. Especially massively multi-player role playing games like World Of Warcraft. I guess that is more of a personal opinion than anything else, but I just can't see anything worthwhile in those games any more.

Meet Me is more than an online game though. It is a virtual representation of Tokyo that people can go to and buy land and live a nice virtual life. That's right, people don't have to deal with the troubles of the real world because they can live their lives out (well actually the lives of their characters, but most people base their characters on themselves) in a virtual world. This game has everything from vehicles, dance halls, cafes, places to fish, and a night life. You can see a few pictures from Meet Me below.




So, how does this game work. First you have to sign up. The company than gives you 3 months of free land in this virtual land. After that you make yourself and plop yourself down into your virtual land. From there you learn how to move around using cars and buses as well as just walking. When you get to where you want to go you can talk to anyone that is there. The people there can see your virtual self and interact with it.

So what happens when your free 3 months are over? Well than you have to start putting money into the whole thing. You are kicked out of what ever house you had and you have to buy your own house. I don't know how much it costs because the website did not say. In other words, when you are just getting used to your new virtual world you have to pay to stay there. Yet another reason to doubt the system.

There is one more reason to doubt the system. The fliers that they handed out at The Tokyo Game Show were are little suspicious. The front of the fliers were fine. They show pictures of the game and tell a little bit about it. The problem is with the back side of the fliers. The back side has pictures of 6 cute Japanese ladies with Meet Me shirts on and it says that you can have virtual dates with them if you get the game on time. Virtual dates... Oh my! That would be the line between stupid and sad. Though, I have got to say that this company does know how to make good fliers for the game show. I saw more lonely guys in that one place than I have seen in over a year.

Any way, it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is デート(でえと). It is pronounced deeto and means date. I don't think I really want to include myself in with the rest of the lonely guys at TGS.

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds kind of like a game we have in America called second life. I think those games are kind of dumb. If you screwed up your first life to the point where you want a second life than chances are you'll screw that life up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jei i agree, these types of games are a dime a dozen. Thus over all leaving the player empty inside when the boring factor sets in.

    peace,
    batchan

    ReplyDelete