Wednesday, October 29, 2008

JJNN Wednesday: Games - 12

Welcome again to JJNN for Wednesday October 29th, 2008. Today we will be talking about another classic game that I love.

So, a few weeks back I got talked into buying a play station 3. Well, to be honest, it was going to happen any way, but it happened faster than I originally though it would. The PS3 has an online store where you can by classic games. While looking though the classic games I came across one called Xenogears. I love that game. I have started it many times over but have yet to finish it. I decided that I am finally going to finish the game, so I am playing it at the moment.

Xenogears is the story of a guy named Fei. He lives in a small village in the mountains. He was not born in that village, but was brought there when he was very little. Fei has no thoughts about going out into the big world, but something happens to his village that changes that. His life is turned upside down in just one night. I don't want to get into the story too much because I want people to play this game. It is so worth it. Below you can see a video of the opening sequence of the game.



The graphics are great for a game that is over 10 years old, don't you think? The events in the opening sequence happen a long time before the events in the game itself, but everything is intertwined. This game really has a deep story where you can control 10 characters. The story goes into all the characters pasts and shows what drives them to do what they do.

As with almost all role playing games there is fighting. The fighting system is interesting in xenogears. You can either fight with your hands or weapons (depending on the character) or in a giant robot. Nothing feels better than smacking around a giant robot with another giant robot. You can see some of the fighting below.



It is definitely worth a play if anyone has access to it in any of its forms.

Any way, it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is 戦う(たたかう). It is pronounced tatakau and means fight. I really do love the unique fighting system in this game.

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment