Friday, October 3, 2008

JJNN Friday: Technology - 10

Welcome again to JJNN for Friday October 3rd, 2008. Today we will be talking about the end of an era.

When you think about computer storage what do you think about? Do you think about huge hard drives? Do you think about USB flash memory drives? Do you think of DVDs or CDs? What about before all those things? No I am not talking about cassette drives. That is going way to far back. I am talking about those little 3.5 inch disks. I mean just look at it...



Doesn't just looking at it bring back memories? I mean I can remember having to deal with stacks of those things to install large games in the days before CDs made things easy. One game that I always played way back in the day took 14 disks to install. Though after CDs came out I always used my old 3.5 disks to practice for card throwing. They were just heavy enough to help with accuracy without being too heavy and hurting the wrist.

Any way, now that I brought you on a trip down memory road, I have some bad news. I was a little shocked to read this. Apparently Mitsubishi (one of the largest producers of 3.5 disks in Japan) is going to stop producing these disks in March of next year. This is more than likely going to be the final blow to this technology. Though many have seen this coming for many years it is still a little sad. Even though I say that none of my computers actually have a 3.5 disk drive...

Any way, it is now time for the word of the day. Today's word is 消滅(しょうめつ). It is pronounced shoumetsu and means termination. I guess I never really felt the same feelings for the 5.25 inch disk as the 3.5 inch disk.

That's it for today. See you next time at JJNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment